Bad breath is not uncommon in toddlers. If the toddler is suffering from this bad breath, it is a concern for any mother. Though it is not a serious repercussions in most cases, you need to find the root cause to cure it.
Let us understand the various reasons that cause toddler bad breath along with the treatment options.
What Is Toddler Bad Breath?
Bad breath in toddlers is caused mostly by volatile sulfur compounds, smelly by products of the breakdown of proteins and sugars by bacteria in the mouth. Ill-advised brushing and flossing of your little child’s teeth can bring about extra food particles on the tongue, gum line, and between teeth which interface with characteristic microscopic organisms found in the mouth which results in toddler’s bad breath.
Causes Of Bad Breath In Toddlers:
Here are some of the reasons for the bad breath problem in your little one. Find out which causes your child suffering from this.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: If your toddler is not brushing his teeth properly, then it can result in bad breath. If the food is leftover for a long time, this causes bad breath.
- Dry Mouth: If your little one has a stuffy nose, then he probably takes his breath from his mouth. This may lead to bad breath.
- Poor Dental Care: If your child has tooth abscess or tooth cavity, this might cause bad breath in toddlers.
- An Object In The Nose: If your little one puts something like beans, peas or any other food particles in the nose, this can make him breath through the mouth, which results in bad breath.
- Chemicals In Toothpaste: If there are any harsh chemicals used in the tooth paste, this will spoil your child’s dental care. It promotes bacteria and causes hygiene problems.
- Ill Health: If your child has health conditions such as sinus, adenoids, gastroesophageal reflux, or any seasonal allergies may result in toddler bad breath.
- Medications: At times, a medicine may cause bad breath in your little child.
- Pungent Foods: If you child is eating pungent foods like ginger, garlic, onion, asafoetida, cloves, cayenne, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, mustard seeds, radishes etc, this may cause bad breath in your little one.
Also Read: What Causes Toddler Vomiting?
How To Get Rid of Bad Breath In Toddlers?
Let us understand below some of the home remedies, natural treatments and other things that help to cure bad breath in toddlers.
- Proper dental hygiene is important. Check your child while brushing if he is properly brushing or not. This helps to prevent bacteria from spreading.
- Give the pea sized toothpaste to your toddler, and ask him to brush all the surfaces.
- Cleaning the tongue is very important. Assist your toddler while he is cleaning his tongue. This will help to remove the coating which is causing the bad breath problem in your child.
- Good dental health is very important. Visit once in six months or a year to your dentist and get a checkup done.
- If you child complains a throat pain, consult the pediatrician immediately. It might be the bacterial infection in the throat, which can be the strep throat.
- If you observe that your child is breathing from his mouth, this might be any chronic nasal congestion condition. Talk to your pediatrician immediately on this.
- Make sure your toddler is drinking more water. It will help in enhancing the production of saliva.
- Use a non-abrasive toothpaste and make sure this should be an ADA(American Dental Association) approved fluoride toothpaste.
- Ask your child to gargle minimum 4-5 times with water while brushing.
- Your child has to wash his hands and legs frequently.
- If your child has the habit of sucking fingers or any other objects, make sure you wash hands, his toys other play things more often. If he uses pacifiers, sterilize it before every use.
Also Read: Excessive Night Sweating In Toddlers
Do not use any mouthwash for your little toddler. If he can not able to spit, it will be difficult. If your toddler is maintaining good oral and dental health, and still if he has bad breath, consult a doctor immediately.