Excessive Night Sweating In Toddlers – Causes, And Treatment
1/3 of babies sweat at night. Sweating at night makes your child uncomfortable. So, parents have to make sure to prevent their kids from night sweating. Read this article to know how to treat excessive night sweats in toddlers.
What is Toddler Night Sweating?
Excessive night sweating or hyperhidrosis is, the toddler’s body is restoring itself and may release extra sweat. It is important to keep your child comfortable while sleeping by wearing lightweight clothes and blankets.
Is Toddler Night Sweating Common While Sleeping?
Night sweating is normal in babies, toddlers, and kids. But as compared to older kids or teenagers, children have a tendency for excessive sweating, especially while sleeping at night. Also, night sweating may be a symptom of any medical condition.
Also Read: What Causes Gas In Toddlers?
What Causes Excessive Sweating In Toddlers?
There are various factors that trigger excessive sweating during sleep at night. Below listed are some of the causes:
- Overheating: Sleeping room should not be humid or hot, then it leads to night sweating.
- Ventilation: If the room doors and windows are closed or temperature is warmer than needed, it causes more sweating.
- Infections: If your child is suffering from any infection, then it might be the reason.
- Stress and anxiety are the other reasons for the sweating in toddlers.
- Fever: If your child is suffering from fever, it can lead to excessive sweating.
- Nightmares: Sometimes fear or bad dreams may cause the sweating in your preschooler.
- Sleep apnea: This condition in your toddler, may cause sweating in toddlers at night.
- Snoring or any other sleeping related issue may trigger this condition.
- Breathing problem is also sometimes a reason for the excessive sweating.
- Frequent change in temperature, from AC environment to non AC.
- Blocked nose or a cough or cold
- Medication: Few medications might cause this problem in your child.
- Dinner: If your little one had some spicy and heavy food and slept right after dinner, this sweating at night problem happen.
- Genetic problems causing from defective genes may cause excessive sweating at night.
Also Read: How To Get Rid Of Body Odor In Toddlers?
When To See A Doctor?
Consult a doctor if you observe the below-given conditions accompany toddler night sweating while sleeping:
- Blisters and Skin Rashes
- If your child’s breathing pattern is irregular
- If your child extremely tired and exhausted throughout the day
Also Read: What Causes Toddler Vomiting?
How is the Toddler Night Sweating Diagnosed?
If you spot any of the above-mentioned symptoms, take your toddler to your pediatrician and get his opinion on this problem. They would inquire about room temperature, about clothing and ventilation. If required, blood test and physical tests will be done.
How To Treat Excessive Night Sweats In Toddlers?
If your child has any medical problem causing night sweating, first that condition is treated. Below are the treatment procedures to cure it:
Topical Ointments: Ointments contain antiperspirants, which block the sweat ducts leading to lesser perspiration. These Ointments usually help control excessive sweating in your toddler. Apply it before your child goes to bed. If still, the problem exists, there are other treatments to cure it.
Oral medications: Your pediatrician might prescribe the oral medication as well to treat the sweating while sleeping. But, anyways, this would not prevent the problem.
Surgical Procedures: Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy is a surgical procedure to treat excessive night sweats.
Electrical therapy: Through this treatment, sweat ducts are blocked using electrical impulses.
Botox injections: These are responsible for the body parts that cause excessive sweating to stop sweat production.
Also Read: How To Get Rid Of Loss Of Appetite In Toddlers?
How To Help Your Toddler Avoid Excessive Night Sweating:
Night sweating is more or less common in toddlers and usually goes away as your child grows. Though it is normal, do not ignore this. Read below-listed things that help prevent night sweating in toddlers.
- Make sure there is a comfortable temperature in the room throughout the night.
- Do not give spicy foods or heavy dinner.
- Should have a gap between dinner and sleeping time.
- It is good if you can make your child walk for sometime before going to sleep.
- Select lightweight clothes and blankets to wear.
- Ask your child if he has any fear or worries which are causing stress.
- Get your toddler regularly examined by a doctor to eliminate any medical issues
- If you feel any particular medication your toddler takes may be causing excessive sweat at night, speak to your pediatrician for a possible change.
- Avoid soft pillows which make your child’s head sinks into it, as ventilation is limited near the head.
- If the sleeping environment is very humid, use a dehumidifier. Excess humidity can lead to night sweating.
- Keep your child always hydrated as sweats at night can get more in summers.
Also Read: Bad Breath In Toddlers
Does Your Child Get Excessive Sweating Without Any Medical Condition?
There is no need to worry even if your child gets excessive sweating at night if he is happy and healthy.
Toddler night sweats can be messy though it is normal in many kids. However, this sweating would not last a long time. Do not panic. If it is excessive, talk to your doctor. If you have any ideas to avoid night sweating, share with us in the comments section.