Pregnancy is an exciting time for expectant mothers. It is also a time when women must be mindful of the foods they eat to ensure they are providing the necessary nutrients to support the growth and development of their baby. One food that has garnered attention lately is the jackfruit. Jackfruits are a large tropical fruit native to Southeast Asia and are packed with nutrients and health benefits. This article will explore the benefits of jackfruit for pregnant women, how it can contribute to a healthy pregnancy, and its possible risks.
Is It Safe To Eat Jackfruit During Pregnancy?
According to the medical professionals, eating jackfruit during pregnancy is generally considered safe as long as you eat this fruit in a moderate quantity. Jackfruit is a rich source of nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium, and fiber, all of which are important for a healthy pregnancy. However, it is always advisable to speak to a doctor before making any dietary changes during pregnancy.
Also Read: Goji Berries During Pregnancy
Nutritional Values Of Jackfruits
Jack fruits are a rich source of nutrients and contain the following:
Energy: 95 calories per 100 gm of jackfruit
Carbohydrates: 24 gm per 100 gm of jackfruit
Proteins: 1.7 gm per 100 gm of jackfruit
Fats: 0.9 gm per 100 gm of jackfruit
Fiber: 2 gm per 100 gm of jackfruit
Vitamin C: 30 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Vitamin B6: 0.14 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Potassium: 562 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Magnesium: 50 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Calcium: 25 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Iron: 0.7 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Phosphorus: 50 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Copper: 0.18 mg per 100 gm of jackfruit
Antioxidants: Jackfruits are rich in antioxidants like phenols and carotenoids, which help in preventing cell damage and reducing oxidative stress.
Also Read: Benefits of Flax Seeds During Pregnancy
Jackfruits Benefits During Pregnancy
Whether you are a fan of jackfruit or are just discovering it, it is essential to understand the impact it can have on your pregnancy.
- Supports a Healthy Immune System:
- Helps with Nausea and Morning Sickness:
- Promotes Fetal Development:
- Supports Blood Pressure Regulation:
- Improves digestion:
- Supports Healthy Bones and Teeth:
- Boosts energy levels:
- Promotes heart health:
- Improves skin health:
Jackfruit is rich in Vitamin C, which helps boost the immune system and protect against infections during pregnancy.
The Vitamin B6 content in jackfruit can help relieve nausea and morning sickness, a common issue faced by many pregnant women.
Jackfruit contains folate, an important nutrient for fetal development, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects and promotes healthy growth.
Jackfruit is high in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure and maintain a healthy heart rate during pregnancy.
Jackfruit contains enzymes that aid in digestion and prevent constipation. It is also a natural laxative, which can help relieve digestive discomfort during pregnancy.
Also Read: Can You Eat Pistachios While Pregnant?
The calcium and magnesium content in jackfruit can help build and maintain healthy bones and teeth, especially important during pregnancy.
Jackfruit is a natural source of energy, thanks to its high levels of carbohydrates and natural sugars. This makes it a great snack for pregnant women who need to maintain their energy levels throughout the day.
Jackfruit contains antioxidants and phytochemicals that can protect the heart and lower the risk of heart disease. The fruit is also low in saturated fats, which helps to maintain a healthy cholesterol level.
Jackfruit is rich in Vitamin C, which is essential for healthy skin. It also contains Vitamin A, which can help to prevent dry skin and reduce the risk of skin damage during pregnancy.
Also Read: Rose Hips During Pregnancy
Jackfruit Side Effects During Pregnancy
- Consuming large amounts of jackfruit during pregnancy may lead to excessive weight gain and high blood sugar levels.
- Jackfruit seeds contain a high amount of lectins, which can cause harm to the fetus and lead to spontaneous abortion.
- Unripe jackfruit can cause digestive problems such as bloating, constipation, and stomach pain, which are particularly dangerous for pregnant women.
- Jackfruit contains a high amount of tannins, which can cause uterine contractions and lead to premature labor.
- The high fiber content of jackfruit can cause digestive problems, which can also be dangerous for pregnant women.
- Consuming large amounts of jackfruit may also lead to a vitamin B6 overdose, which can cause nerve damage and birth defects.
- Pregnant women should avoid eating jackfruit seeds or consuming large amounts of jackfruit to reduce the risk of any side effects.
- It is best to consult a doctor before consuming jackfruit during pregnancy to determine the safe amount to consume.
How Many Jack Fruits To Consume During Pregnancy?
Jack fruits can be consumed in small doses by expecting mothers. Jack fruit is a nutritious fruit and can be included in the diet, but it is advisable to consume it in moderation. Eating too much of anything can lead to unwanted side effects and can be harmful during pregnancy.
Also Read: Benefits of Okra During Pregnancy
Different Ways To Have Jack Fruits In Pregnancy
- Fresh Jackfruit: Fresh, ripe jackfruit can be eaten raw or used in a variety of dishes. Simply slice the fruit, remove the seeds, and enjoy the sweet, juicy flesh.
- Jackfruit Curry: Cook sliced jackfruit with spices and vegetables for a delicious, nutritious curry.
- Jackfruit Smoothie: Blend ripe jackfruit with milk, yogurt, and sweetener for a sweet and healthy smoothie.
- Jackfruit Salad: Toss chopped jackfruit with greens, nuts, and dressing for a light and refreshing salad.
- Jackfruit Sandwiches: Spread mashed jackfruit on toasted bread with other ingredients like cheese, mayonnaise, or avocado for a tasty sandwich.
- Jackfruit Rice: Cook jackfruit with rice, spices, and other ingredients to make a flavorful and satisfying meal.
- Jackfruit Chips: Bake or fry thin slices of jackfruit for a crunchy and healthy snack.
- Jackfruit Tacos: Use shredded jackfruit as a vegetarian taco filling, topped with cheese, salsa, and guacamole.
- Jackfruit Juice: Blend jackfruit with water, sugar, and other fruits for a sweet and healthy drink.
Also Read: Benefits of Dandelion Tea In Pregnancy
Jack Fruits During Pregnancy – FAQs
Are there any precautions that pregnant women should take while eating jackfruit?
Pregnant women should avoid eating raw or under ripe jackfruit as it may contain harmful bacteria and toxins. It is recommended to cook jackfruit before eating. Additionally, if you have any allergies to certain fruits, it is best to avoid eating jackfruit.
Is jackfruit good for constipation during pregnancy?
Yes, jackfruit is high in fiber and can help relieve constipation during pregnancy.
Can jackfruit help in gestational diabetes during pregnancy?
Jackfruit is a low glycemic index food and is considered a good option for women with gestational diabetes. However, it is still important to talk to your doctor about what foods are best for you during pregnancy.
Is jackfruit safe for pregnant women with a history of allergies?
If you have a history of allergies to certain fruits, it is recommended to avoid eating jackfruit during pregnancy. If you are unsure, consult with your doctor before adding jackfruit to your diet.
What are the benefits of eating jackfruit during pregnancy?
Jackfruit contains antioxidants, fiber, and potassium, which are all essential for a healthy pregnancy. It also provides energy and helps regulate digestion, which can be especially helpful during pregnancy.